Bench

Bench

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Podcasts

A few years ago I was introduced to the podcast Radiolab. The first one I listened to was on human limits, and I was hooked. I have listened to most of the episodes since then, and have even gone back and listened to the episode on limits many times.

Since the discovery of Radiolab I have listened to a few other podcasts here and there. I haven't been able to find anything that holds my attention quite as well, but I will continue to search for them because I really like the idea of podcasts. They are typically simple, yet informative. You can find a podcast on pretty much any topic.

I have never really considered using podcasts in an educational setting. However, I would be intrigued to think of ways 2nd graders could use and possibly produce their own. I guess I think of them more as a tool for older students, but I do see how they could be beneficial for younger students as well.

Have any of you ever used podcasts in your younger elementary classrooms? Did you just listen to them, or did you have your students produce them?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim!

    I think that it would be difficult to create podcasts with primary grades for sure. I'm trying to think of how you could use podcasts that are already created. Now that we have used Audacity, I think I will have students record their reading on that so they can hear their rate/fluency and at least that way, they are learning how the tool works while I try to figure out how to incorporate podcasts into the curriculum! Also, for your personal listening, I have heard rave reviews about the podcast Serial. Here's the link: http://serialpodcast.org/

    Devon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great ideas! Thanks Devon! I've actually thought a lot about what you've said since you posted a comment because it got me thinking about how this could be a way to help students understand the importance of what they say and how they are saying it.

    Thanks for the tip on "Serial"!

    ReplyDelete